Monday, April 19, 2010

Playsilks






I have been wanting to dye playsilks myself for some time now, but it always seems so daunting. While looking around the internet I came across this blog: Childhood Magic , and she talked about dying playsilks. So, I thought... why not give it a go. I searched for a method that would be pretty easy for me, and found this method on-line.
First I soaked the silks in warm water with vinegar in it for a few minutes
Then I rung them out and fan folded them and tied them up with bits of wool yarn.
I placed the silk in a large ziplock freezer bag.
Then I sprinkled the unsweetened Kool-Aid drink mix on one side and then flipped the silk and sprinkled the other side with another flavor/color of Kool-Aid.
I smooshed the playsilk and Kool-Aid around in the bag for a minute or so.
Then zip the bag shut and put in the microwave for 1 minute on high. After a minute check and make sure everything is ok and microwave for another minute.
I hung the bag up too cool for a few hours and then took the silks out rinsed them out (not much Kool-Aid actually rinsed off at all). I untied them and let them hang to dry over night! Tada, beautiful silks!
I am going to try another Kool-Aid dying method with other, much larger silk. I will post about that soon.
Here are some links to dying with Kool-Aid:

No comments: