Thursday, January 10, 2013

On breastfeeding


For the last 18 years I have been breastfeeding or pregnant (or both) pretty much most of the time. Over those years my desire to be part of this... this birthing and breastfeeding business has just grown. For many years becoming a midwife was a passion of mine, but I just could not see a way to make it work with in my life. I really wanted to be home with my own babies, but still some how help other women, help other babies. Child birth education? Maybe. LLL Leader? Yes (working on that right now). But I am also an RN and have worked at least part time for many of the last 18 years and I wanted to use that degree in some way. I am not so hip on the whole hospital business, but I think those mamas need the help most of all. When the average IBCLC is pushing formula... I want to be better than that, to do better by those mamas who put their trust in the medical establishment. I want to help them in a meaningful way. What better way to help women and babies then to get them off on the right foot when it comes to breastfeeding. Nursing a baby can be such a lovely experience, it has many wonderful benefits for both baby and mom and well it is usually such a beautiful, magical experience (maybe not every single day, but most days).
So I am off on this journey to become an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. I can use all the years in nursing school for part of it, I will be able to use the many hours of working with breastfeeding mamas in the LLL as part of it, the last part... the breastfeeding education part of it, well that is the part I am working on. To sit for the exam I must take classes that are OK'd by the IBCLE. They must follow the IBCLE exam blueprint. I am asking just this one time, if you feel compelled to help in anyway, it would mean so much to me. I have a widget on my blog that goes to my GoFundMe account. You can pop over there and check it out and donate if the mood strikes you. I promise I will not say another word about this.
Many many blessings!

3 comments:

Erin said...

What a wonderful goal! I wish you the best of luck!

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I think you're awesome for wanting to help other women in this way. I wish you luck!