Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Knitting and reading





Do you see the blue/green/white socks up there? The one with the unfinished toe? Well, I ran out of yarn just an inch from being done, and they no longer carry that yarn. I checked all over ravlery for someone who is maybe selling part of a skein or something, but no such luck. So I cried. Then after hitting the panic button I checked Knitpicks for a yarn with the same fiber content. and same weight. I found some and ordered two different colors because I wasn't 100% sure which one would look best. I was planning on frogging both feet and restarting at the heel and doing the heels and toes in the new yarn, but then decided I would just frog the toe area and redo those in the new yarn. SO now those socks are on the back burner until my yarn arrives.
I started on Christmas gift # 4. Lovely, chunky, warm, pink socks! Already I am done with the 1X1 ribbing on sock one, these are going to fly off the needles, aran weight yarn on size 5 needles! Awesome!
And I am reading, yes it is only magazines, but really I only have that much time. Nuala is so busy and so needy that I can only read for minutes at a time. I find my magazine choices interesting. Taproot is like dreaming and Hipmama is like reality. Love them both.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

argh! It's always the discontinued or OOAK yarns that seem to run out too early isn't it. They're looking good though so hope the new yarn is a match :)

Anonymous said...

What a shame, the striped socks are lovely, but I'm sure they'll look just as lovely with contrasting toes........it's one of my worst nightmares to run out of yarn before completing a projectand so I always buy too much, then I'm left with all these half balls of yarn that I never know what to do with.

Thanks for popping by.

sustainablemum said...

Oh what a pain hope your choice of replacements works out :). Love the pink yarn that is going to make a great pair of socks.

Donna said...

I have that same exact yarn in that color! I just finished the socks so if you want the leftovers email me at knit1spin2@cox.net. I will pop it in the mail.

momto5 said...

Seriously?! that would be so awesome!! thank you so much. i will be emailing you right away! happy dance!

Adeola said...

I've been meaning to try Taproot since it started but I've never heard of Hipmama what's it like? You never know I might ask for a magazine subscription for Christmas ;0)

karen said...

oh no! I hate when I run out of yarn. Can you get a contrasting color to do the toe from some saved stash? That is what I had to do for my son's socks. the yardage (kroy) was very skimpy for guy socks...Good luck, I love them!

Lucy Bowen said...

Oh no, to running out of yarn, but oh yay to hopefully finding enough to finish!! They look great, I'm sure either way they will be lovely in the end.