Monday, March 25, 2013

Weekending: urban hike

part of downtown tempe

getting ready for the hike up

pretty cactus

heading up past the "A"

more downtown tempe

heading down

awesome retaining wall at hayden mill

looking in the mill

more mill peaking

and still more peaking

heading to the ice cream shop

maple bacon ice cream... yum

met sis at the ice cream shop...see the new glasses :)

my monkey boys

YES! i got a picture of my big guy

books from the sweeeet used book shop

Mike and I took the kids for an urban hike up "A" mountain (AKA Hayden Butte). Totally fun, quick hike and not terribly scary at the top (although I must admit to not actually getting to the tippy top as I would probably have ruined the boys fun by freaking out about them maybe falling off the edge or something). Lots of people were out hiking and laughing, felt very connected to the community. The camera decided that it would NOT work at the very top, so no super cool pictures of the city from way up top, but a lovely view just the same.
At the bottom of the butte is the old Hayden flour mill (how Mill Ave got it's name!) which apparently is going to be fixed up some and made in to some sort of museum at some point. They have places for you to peak inside and get a look at all the cool stuff that was used in the mill. Apparently it was a mill that ran on water power... very cool. After checking out the mill, we headed over to an ice cream shop and met up with Audrey and then stopped off at "Old Town Books" and looked through all the old goodness, there is just something about an old bookstore, it is the smell I think, that sort of attic smell, but in a good way. You can not get that smell from an iPad that is for sure. I found some great books for the boys, and when they found out I home schooled they gave me a 20% discount for life! Yeah local used book shop. (Plus they have an ancient cat who is just as sweet as can be.)

7 comments:

Lisa Uotinen said...

I could use some of that sunshine and warm, dry air! maybe even a little bit of the urban scene would be lovely to me, right now. :)

Debbie Jones said...

Looks like you had a nice time! Thanks for the tip on the used bookstore. We love used bookstores. Do you ever go to Bookmans? They also have an educator discount, that I think applied to homeschool educators. Have a nice week.

Lori ann said...

so fun! love the family outing. LOVE the used bookstore, wonderful the discount! are you in tempe? my son is at asu!

momto5 said...

@lori: yes! my oldest is at ASU as well. what a small world. what is he studying?

Krugthethinker said...

That is so cool! I especially love the rocks;) I am such a big fan of urban exploring--so neat that you found the mill!

SarabellaE said...

Sounds like a perfect day! I love used bookstores. I may have to own one someday, but then, I might have to sell some books, so maybe not.
:-)

SarabellaE said...

Sounds like a perfect day! I love used bookstores. I may have to own one someday, but then, I might have to sell some books, so maybe not.
:-)