Monday, February 18, 2013

Weekend, crafts, and life


tea party with the cat
I go through these fazes where I just have a lot of life happening, but have no real way to write it all down. Then, days end up going by and I have not really written anything, not really taken any photographs and honestly still have little to say about what has been going on here.

new freezer

freezer box becomes fort

painting the box

This weekend was busy, we bought 50# of beef, a new freezer, placed a deposit on half a pig, and ordered 1/2 a lamb as well. The house work was done, Mike and I got to go out on a date Friday night and I tried a pint Guinness for the first time (I was able to drink about half of it. lol), Sis took Sagan and Logan for a tour of the ASU campus, and the little boys, Fiona and I just sort of hung out. It was nice pleasant weekend.
my little space in the bedroom

The weeks have sort of been like that lately, not much to report, just life happening, flowing smoothly (for the most part). I am working on a way to sort of do more with our days, focusing a bit more on homeschooling, I tend to do that occasionally... feel this need to move on and change what we have been doing. It seems to be working, the boys ask to do the new things. There is more reading going on, some math, learning about how rainbows happen, form drawing, working on our sad sad garden, feeding the hens, baking, sitting outside in the lovely sunshine. Days like these are just so precious, when you sit and think about it; slow, flowing days, that don't seem to take much effort, that just sort of happen.
Knitting has happened, I finally started on sock number 2, which is coming along, very slowly, but surely. For some reason I took a break to knit up some ankle cuffs for jingle bells to go on. They are super simple and fun, and sadly, waaaay too big for Miss Fiona Rosy's wee little legs, so they may just end up on the music basket and I will be forced to knit another pair (oh the hard ships I face). And reading, I have done a bit of that. I got a copy of Kindred in the mail the other day and have been savoring it, and like always, when I am feeling stuck and in need of mama inspiration I pull out my copy of Heaven On Earth and read through all the advice and become inspired again.

sock one and sock two

the readings

ankle cuffs before bells

joining Ginny for the Yarn Along, Amanda for weekending, and Nicole for Keep Calm Craft On

16 comments:

Cynthia said...

It sounds as though you have had a very full week. Thank you for reminding me about the ankle cuff pattern! I have eyed that pattern for a long time now and with a birthday right around the corner now might be the perfect time to get started on it. :)

It sounds like your new freezer is on its way to being good and stocked! :)

Tracey ~ Clover said...

So much life being lived in your home Heather. Congratulations on your new freezer, we have one that saves me so much in time and money.

Hooray for starting sock number 2! I wanted to tell you how I knit socks and avoid second sock syndrome, I do them both side by side. I knit the ribbing on both socks, then the leg, then the heel flap, ect. so in the end they are both finished at about the same time.
I hope mapa inspiriation has struck and you are feeling inspired again.
Have a wonderful Tuesday.

Unknown said...

I approach socks similarly to Tracey or I do two at a time. Helps with the finishing of a pair!! So glad you are having good days. Just because there is nothing to write does not mean life isn't being lived.

K E Fleck said...

Hooray for huge freezer boxes to play with!

And, I love the happy stripes on your sock :-)

Best wishes,
Kara

Nicole said...

I love your space in your bedroom. So good to have :)

momto5 said...

heather and tracey: that is a good idea. i need to get a couple more sets of those wee tiny needles. lol

Anonymous said...

it feels good to have a bit of space, doesn't it? mine is small and prone to be invaded by the kidlets but it's MINE!!!

Mama Gone Green said...

the box looks fun!

Amanda said...

So much fun! We have a big ol' box right now from our new hot water heater and my kids have been absolutely loving it. Beautiful sock too, I really like that yarn.

house full of jays said...

Nothing quite as fun as a big box!

Kim said...

A big freezer box, how fun!! Both your reads are good ones, enjoy!

karen said...

I love your little space in the bedroom! I have pockets of places in the family room that are mine as well as my books in the bedroom.

Love your socks and yay to sock #2, that means you're over half way :)

*kate said...

I love your space! I look forward to having one of my own. Yay for the freezer! And sock #2 :)

Heather L. said...

i have such fun memories of using cardboard boxes when I was a kid and with my own kids!!!

Unknown said...

Which child doesn't find a new world in a box, fond memories :)
I wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for an award.
You can read more about it here:
http://marigoldsloft.blogspot.ch/2013/02/i-have-been-nominated.html
x
Natalie
www.marigoldsloft.blogspot.com

Hannah said...

There's nothing like a big box to get the imagination and creativity flowing, is there?!