Friday, February 15, 2013

What is the weather?

nature table
After being completely inspired by Frontier Dreams and already having the weather set from Armadillo  Dreams, I printed out the "What's the Weather?" cards from 1+1+1=1, cut them out and covered them with contact paper. We have added the weather forecast to our circle time that happens every morning now. Which I must admit that I was for some reason hesitant to incorporate into our daily lives. I guess I was thinking the older boys would find it boring and protest doing it everyday, but they ask for it! They have just as good of time as Rowan and Fiona, and I have to say it is a lot of fun having a group doing it.
We start out with some action doing "Ring around the Rosies" (which Fiona loves doing), then move on to "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes". We do a bit of yoga, usually a sun salute or two, and then we do some bean bag tossing and counting by two, threes, fives, and tens. We check the weather, put up the appropriate weather card and wooden weather piece(s), and then one of the boys gets to light the candle and I read a fable and we talk about the message. It takes maybe 15 minutes, we have been talking about adding a few other things since they enjoy it so much. You know, you never can tell what your kids will enjoy sometimes. I am so happy I stumbled upon the "What's the Weather" and I am really happy we do circle time every day. :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I always wonder about starting with a circle time. Good to know it is going well. I have that set now too.

momto5 said...

i won it in a give away that Soulemama did about a year ago. i just had no idea what to do with it. lol

Unknown said...


I like your king winter on your table.

fairymom aka Victorymama aka Rachel said...

What a wonderful nature table. And I love your Earth Goddess, Gaia!

aka Jules said...

I am loving this. We are starting to incorporate some rituals into life beyond meal time. The ritual right now is that we head to the potty first thing in the morning -- I'm looking forward to being beyond potty training so that there is less emphasis on the potty and more on the rising sun. :)

Cynthia said...

We just started using little "weather gnomes" and my kids are loving it!